The drekkāṇa is one-third a rāśi measuring 10° arc and having exactly three nakṣatra pada (of 3°20’) in it. There are 36 drekkāṇa in the zodiac as 3×12=36. Just as the horā D2 chart maps to the second house of the rāśi chart in the physical plane of consciousness, the drekkāṇa being a D3 chart, maps to the third house. We learn four drekkāṇa types among the five types defined by Parāśara as well as the ancient Greek drekkāṇa taught by Varāhamihira. There are two methods of reckoning the drekkāṇa i.e. by either regular count (zodiacal/reverse) or triplicity. In the method based on regularity, the Parivṛtti Drekkāṇa (based on vriddha kārikā) is adopted following regular zodiacal order. While the Somanāth Drekkāṇa uses zodiacal count only for odd signs and reverse for even signs. In the method based on triplicity, Parāśara Drekkāṇa takes the trines from the sign itself. The Jagannāth Drekkāṇa takes the trines from the movable sign. Drekkāṇa is the power of the trinity, the trimūrti referred to the highest manifested power of God as Brahma, Viṣṇu and Rudra. Movable signs have Brahma energy, fixed signs have Rudra energy and dual signs have Viṣṇu energy.
- Introduction - राशित्रिभागाद्रेष्काणास्ते च षट्त्रिंशदीरिताः। परिवृत्तित्रयं तेषां मेषादेः क्रमशो भवेत्॥ ७॥ rāśitribhāgādreṣkāṇāste ca ṣaṭtriṁśadīritāḥ | parivṛttitrayaṁ teṣāṁ meṣādeḥ kramaśo bhavet || 7|| Translation: Dreṣkāṇa (drekkāṇa) is one-third of a rāśi and there are thirty-six dreṣkāṇa in the zodiac. They are reckoned from Aries in order based on “parivṛtti traya”. Commentary Kāraka: Mars Kārya bhāva: Third house Kāryeśa: […]
- Parāśara Drekkāṇa - Overview This is the first of drekkāṇa charts based on the completion of the circle of the zodiac which is the real meaning of parivṛtti. In three steps the circle of the zodiac (360°) is to be covered implying that each step covers a trine (120°). There are different ways in which this can be […]
- Parivṛtti Drekkāṇa - This is the simplest of the regular drekkāṇa charts and just like the parivṛtti horā, is based on direct count from Aries for the 36 drekkāṇa travelling through the zodiac three times. The first twelve drekkāṇa are in the first four rāśi Aries to Cancer which is bhū-loka having Agni as the devatā. The second […]
- Varāhamihira Drekkāṇa - Nomenclature: from Varāhamihira Mihira Drekkana or D3-M Varāhamihira defines the horā and drekkāṇa in the opening chapter of Bṛhat Jātaka (śloka 12). We have defined this horā previously. द्रेष्काण संज्ञाम् अपि वर्णयन्ति स्वद्वादशैकादशराशिपानाम्॥ १२॥ dreṣkāṇa saṁjñām api varṇayanti svadvādaśaikādaśarāśipānām || 12|| Translation: The three drekkāṇa of a sign are the same sign (sva), twelfth (dvādaśa) […]
- Jagannāth Drekkāṇa - Definition The three drekkāṇa of a sign are its trines with the first in a movable sign, second in a fixed sign and third in a dual sign. This is exactly like the Parāśara drekkāṇa but differs in that the first is always in a movable sign in trines. Drekkāṇa for karma Phala is not […]
- Somanāth Drekkāṇa - D3-S Chart The construction (mapping) of the Somanāth drekkāṇa is similar to the parivṛtti drekkāṇa (just like the horā) but with a difference in that the even signs are grouped as apasavya (reverse) and the odd signs are grouped as savya (zodiacal). To prepare the table, we consider the odd signs first and write them […]